Thursday, March 8, 2012

That pork is magical

Generally, I'm not a big meat eater. I was vegetarian for a little over a year, until I got pregnant with my daughter. Since then, eating meat is something I've done because it's WAY more convenient when eating out and in other homes. If I really sat down and gave it some thought, I would probably stop eating it. Except for that super expensive, farm raised organic stuff.

Pork bothers me more than other meats, because of an experience I had while translating in a hospital right after college. You can read about it (google worms in brain and pork), but I don't recommend that you do. Especially if you're paranoid like I am.

Anyway, our schedule is pretty crazy, and Wednesdays are the busiest. So I aim for crock pot cooking if I can on Wednesdays. I bought a pork roast, threw it (ok, gently set it...don't want pork juice all over the kitchen) in the crock pot, COVERED it in garlic powder, added some seasoned salt, dumped a beer and a can of beef broth over it, chopped up an onion and threw it in, and turned it on high for about 6 hours. Sounds redneck, huh? Well, it's magical. About 30 minutes before it was ready, I shredded it and let it keep cooking. We had it on mini whole grain rolls, but it's also great on tortillas with chopped onion, cilantro and lime juice on top.

I leftovers the next day for lunch. So good. You should try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment