Thursday, February 16, 2012

What is this sleep you speak of?

Well. I have an almost 8 month old who has been regressing to newborn sleep status. That is to say, it's not really happening anymore. It's gotten worse and worse each night, and last night he woke up (no kidding) every hour. He'd kind of sleep if we held him, but the second we tried to lay him down, he would wake up and cry. A few times I gave up and brought him in bed with me, cradling his head so maybe he would think I was holding him. And I really was. This meant no sleep for me, but at least I got to lie down.

So even then, he would only sleep for an hour, and then wake up and cry.

I have a few theories about why this is happening.

1. He got his first two teeth on Sunday. Maybe more are coming in?
2. Stomach ache? Is it something I'm eating? I've had butternut squash soup for the past several days, could that be it?
3. He had an ear infection a few weeks ago - maybe the ear hasn't healed. (We are going to the doctor for a re-check tomorrow. I will be asking why he won't sleep, if it's not the ears.)
4. Cosmic payback for something I said or did. Less likely.

Anyone (of my two official followers:) or other people on the interwebs have any clue?

I am a zombie today. An angry zombie. And I want to combat my tired, bad mood with lots of chocolate. But I also want to lose weight. Sigh.

Here's my sweet baby now. At 3 in the afternoon. I'm hoping tonight is better. Otherwise I might just eat somebody's brains...especially if they are caffeinated.

ALSO, I keep getting comments from people about how this is just practice for when my kids are teenagers. Apparently then I will REALLY get no sleep. Let me tell you why that is ridiculous (unless my kids turn out to be hoodlums.) First, my kids will have a curfew. There will be no driving or shenanigans after a certain time at night. Second, if my teens are up all night, fine. I expect they will be entertaining themselves in their own room, listening to obnoxious music or online. Or whatever crazy technological things are available by then. I don't think they will be crying, wanting me to hold them in my lap. I realize that there is a very slight chance my teenage kids will not be perfect, and I will lose sleep over this. But not ALL of my sleep. Hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment